Other migrant issues
In this section we look at various other tax issues that you might face when you come to the UK and provide information on other things to be aware of when living and working in the UK.
This section contains more information on the following topics:
- What are the most common migrant tax problems? – this section examines common issues faced by migrants and provides links to further information.
- How do I claim tax back? – this section explains how to reclaim tax that you have overpaid in a variety of different situations. It also tells you the time limits for making a claim.
- Can I bring my car to the UK? – this section explains what you need to know if you are thinking of bringing your car to the UK.
- Can I drive in the UK? – this section provides an overview of the things you need to do in order to drive a car legally in the UK.
- Do I need a licence to watch television in the UK? – in this section we explain why you must buy a television (TV) licence if you watch or record TV as it is being broadcast, or download or watch BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer.
- How do I open a UK bank account? – this section provides information on the documents you need to have to open a bank account in the UK.
- Can I claim a VAT refund if I leave the UK? – this section provides information on VAT and the VAT refund scheme, sometimes knows as 'Tax Free Shopping'.
- What is council tax? – this section looks briefly at council tax.
I am a construction worker – how do I get a CSCS card? – this may be useful for you if you work in the construction industry.
Am I entitled to free UK healthcare cover? – here we look at the rules for migrants here we look at whether or not migrants may use the NHS.