Armed forces

Updated on 7 October 2020

This section of the website is designed to provide serving personnel, veterans, their families and their advisers with access to information on how to deal with the tax and benefits issues faced by them. 

Armed forces

Throughout this part of the site we use the term ‘veteran’ to mean anyone who used to be employed in the armed forces but is no longer so employed whether due to retirement, their contract coming to an end, or leaving for any other reason, including disability.

We concentrate on UK tax matters, but provide some guidance on issues affecting personnel who are assigned overseas. 

Where there are specific tax treatments relating to armed forces personnel, they will be contained in this section, although you may be referred to other sections for background information, if relevant.

For information on the scope of the help that you can expect to find in this section, please see the About Us section.

What information and help can I find in this section?

In this part of the website you can find information about:

Back to the top

Why do I need to understand the UK tax system?

It is important for you to understand the UK tax system, because this will help you to check that you, or your clients if you are an adviser, are paying the right amount of tax and receiving the right allowances and reliefs.

The UK taxes each individual separately, although there are some special rules for married couples and civil partners.

Back to the top

Where do I find more general information about the UK tax system?

Elsewhere on this website there is more general information about:

Back to the top

Where can I get further help?

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) are the UK Government department who manage the tax system in the UK. You can find their contact details on the GOV.UK website.

You can find out where to get help from third party organisations in our getting help section.

Back to the top