Pensions you receive

Updated on 18 May 2019

Armed forces

Traditionally we tend to think of pensioners as being older, but although you cannot access some pensions until age 55, or even later, you may be paid some pensions earlier if you have been wounded or disabled. This section shows which of your pensions are taxable and provides some information on when they can be paid to you.

What information can I find in this section?

This section is primarily aimed at past employees of the armed forces who are receiving, or are about to receive, pension income. For more general information on pensioners, you can visit that section of this website.

This section contains information on the following:

Back to the top

Where can I find further help and information?

You will find a lot of information on general taxation matters affecting pensioners in our section on pensioners.

GOV.UK has information on pensions being received.

Tax Help for Older People is a charity offering assistance to pensioners on a low income.

Back to the top

What do I do when things go wrong?

As explained in our section Multiple sources of employment and/or pension income or state benefits, the time you start to receive a pension is a typical point where your tax affairs may become more complicated and when you need to carefully check your Pay As You Earn (PAYE) Notices of Coding. Specifically you should check that overall you are only being allocated one personal allowance. If you are also receiving the state pension you should check that the tax due on it is being collected via increased PAYE tax deductions on another source of income. You can read more about this on the State pension and other pensions not connected with the armed forces page.

If you find that not enough tax has been taken from your pensions, so that you owe tax to HMRC, you will probably receive a form P800 (a tax calculation) or a Simple Assessment, unless you are part of the Self Assessment system. You can read more about this in our section on employment.

If you think HMRC has failed to deal with your tax affairs properly and this has meant that you have not paid enough tax, you may wish to try to make a claim under Extra Statutory Concession A19 to have all or some of the tax written off. You can read more about this, and what to do if your employer (or pension payer) did not operate PAYE properly, in our employment section. Alternatively you may wish to make a complaint.

Back to the top