Updated on 11 July 2018

Welcome to the ‘employed section' of our website. This section provides further details about the tax implications of employment. It is for you if you are an employee on a low income


Most people who work in the UK are employed. If you are an employee, you may have to deal with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC), as they assess and collect tax and pay out tax credits and other benefits.

HMRC do not always get things right. So it is important for you to check the tax you pay on your employment income. You should be able to check some of the information in relation to your earnings in your on-line Personal Tax Account that you can read about in our ‘Tax Basics’ section. You may need to contact HMRC if you do not understand something or if you disagree with them. We hope this section gives you enough information about employment and tax to feel confident about the action you need to take.

What information and help can I find in this section?

In this section, we provide information and help to encourage you to try and solve any tax problem you may have. It is easier and cheaper in the long run if you can understand and manage your own tax affairs.

In particular, we provide information on the following areas of taxation for employees:

Throughout this site we can only offer general guidance on tax topics and you should always obtain specific advice before taking any action.

For information on the scope of the help that you can expect to find in this section, please see the About Us section.

Where can I get more help?

If you are self-employed, we suggest you also visit our ‘self-employment section’.

If you have come from abroad to work in the UK, we suggest you also visit our ‘migrants and tax section’.

If you live in Scotland and are a Scottish taxpayer, you should read our section on Scottish income tax.

You also need to understand whether you are entitled to receive government help in the form of tax credits. This is a supplement to a low income (working tax credit) or extra help for those with children (child tax credit).

If you think you might be entitled to state benefits, we provide an overview of the main benefits.

Tax credits and some other state benefits are slowly being replaced by universal credit.

If you do not agree with a decision of HMRC, find out what action you can take on our ‘tax appeals’ page.

If you are unhappy with the way in which you have been treated by HMRC, you may be able to make a complaint.

HMRC manage the UK tax system. You can find their contact details on the GOV.UK website.

You can find out where to get help from third party organisations in our 'getting help section'.

Finally, if you do not think we have covered what you wanted to know or you would like to tell us of your experiences so that we might learn and try to get things changed then please do contact us.

Back to the top