Can I live and work in the UK?

Updated on 9 April 2018

The migrants section of the website is for people who have a right to be in the UK or a right to work in the UK.

Please note that there is no immediate change to the position of EU nationals working or living in the UK following the result of the EU membership referendum.

It is not possible to explain all of the rules about the right to work and be in the UK here. In case of uncertainty, you should go to the UK Visas and Immigration section of the GOV.UK website for up-to-date information. Follow the links below to information on the GOV.UK website on the following topics:

For further advice, you can go to an accredited immigration adviser or immigration solicitor. You can find your nearest accredited immigration adviser, regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner on the GOV.UK website.

You can find you nearest immigration solicitor on the Law Society website.

In Northern Ireland you can search for an immigration solicitor on the Law Society NI website.

In Scotland, you can search for an immigration solicitor on the Law Society of Scotland website.

With regards to visa and immigration status and tax, there are two important things to note:

  • We talk about your UK tax ‘residence’ throughout this website. Here we are considering where you are resident for tax purposes – this may not be the same as for visa/immigration purposes.
  • Provided you are living and working in the UK legally, your visa/immigration status will have no bearing whatsoever on whether you are able to claim a tax refund. 

Back to the top