What if I am paid in cash?

Updated on 17 March 2018

As an employee, you may be paid in cash. However you should still be paying tax and NIC on your earnings. We explain this further below.

Can my employer pay me in cash?

Your employer is allowed to pay you in cash, providing that they take off the right amount of income tax and National Insurance contributions (NIC) under Pay As You Earn (PAYE), and hand these over to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) before paying you the balance.

Many employers in the UK now pay their employees by bank transfer, although some employers continue to pay in cash.

Back to the top

Should I receive a payslip?

You should always receive a payslip each time you are paid. This a legal obligation of your employer.

Whatever payment method your employer adopts, they must always provide you with a payslip each payday – this shows all your pay, income tax and NIC for the pay period. It should also show a PAYE reference and how you will be paid, for example, in cash, by cheque or directly to your bank.

The payslip can be a paper form or in electronic form, for example a pdf file.

There is more information on payslips on GOV.UK.

Back to the top

Why is my employer paying me in cash and not giving me a payslip?

It is possible that an employer may wish to pay their employees in cash so that they can try to avoid their obligations under PAYE (deducting tax, NIC and paying employers NIC). They may not pay over any income tax and NIC to HMRC, to save money – this is illegal.

  • If your employer fails to meet their obligations under PAYE, HMRC can demand the income tax and NIC from you at a later date in certain circumstances.
  • If your employer does not pay over NIC to HMRC for you, you may lose out on state benefits.

It is likely that your employer will not provide you with payslips if they are trying to avoid their obligations under PAYE.

If your employer does not give you a payslip each payday, you should ask for one. There is an example payslip in the 'useful tools section' of our website.

Back to the top

What should I do if I think my employer is acting illegally?

You should report your employer to HMRC. You can find more information on the GOV.UK website.

Back to the top

What if I am self-employed?

'Cash in hand' payments for work are like any other income – you must declare them to HMRC in your annual self assessment tax return.

Back to the top