Other migrant issues
We look at various other tax issues that you might face when you come to the UK and provide information on other things to be aware of when living and working in the UK.
These pages contain more information on the following topics:
- What are the most common migrant tax problems? – this page examines common issues faced by migrants and provides links to further information.
- How do I claim tax back? – this page explains how to reclaim tax that you have overpaid in a variety of different situations. It also tells you the time limits for making a claim.
- Can I bring my car to the UK? – this page explains what you need to know if you are thinking of bringing your car to the UK.
- Can I drive in the UK? – this page provides an overview of the things you need to do in order to drive a car legally in the UK.
- Do I need a licence to watch television in the UK? – on this page we explain why you must buy a television (TV) licence if you watch or record TV as it is being broadcast, or download or watch BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer.
- How do I open a UK bank account? – this page provides information on the documents you need to have to open a bank account in the UK.
- Can I claim a VAT refund if I leave the UK? – this page provides information on VAT and the VAT refund scheme, sometimes knows as 'Tax Free Shopping'.
- What is council tax? – this page looks briefly at council tax.
I am a construction worker – how do I get a CSCS card? – this may be useful for you if you work in the construction industry.
Am I entitled to free UK healthcare cover? – here we look at the rules for migrants and whether or not migrants may use the NHS.