What should I do if I have not paid enough tax?

Updated on 9 April 2018

You might not always pay the right amount of tax in a year. Pensioners can have particular problems if you have several sources of income. Taking money flexibly out of pensions can also mean you need to sort out your tax position later.

Our guide under tax for employees tells you what to do if HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) think you have not paid enough tax for a year. See ‘What if I do not pay enough tax?’. The system is the same for pensioners and employees; indeed, you might still be employed and taking money from pensions at the same time.

We also have a factsheet on what to do if you receive a form P800 (tax calculation) from HMRC.

If you cannot pay any tax due through the Pay As You Earn (PAYE) system, in certain circumstances, HMRC may send you a simple assessment rather than a form P800. This is a letter (PA302) showing your income and asking you to pay your bill.

Share this.

Page actions