What tax rates apply to me?

Updated on 30 March 2018

Under the UK tax system, generally your earnings and pensions, or non-savings income, is treated as being taxed first, then your savings income and then your dividends. 

You can find the current and recent years’ tax rates and bands in our ‘useful links section’.

What tax rates apply to my pensions or non-savings income?

For more information on taxable pension income, you should look at the page ‘what income is taxable?’.

You pay income tax on your taxable income that exceeds your tax allowances.

We explain the rates that apply to your taxable pensions or non-savings income in the ‘tax basics’ section of this website.

If you live in Scotland and are a Scottish taxpayer, different income tax rates and bands apply to your non-savings and non-dividend income. There is more information in our section on Scottish income tax.

Back to the top

Where can I find more information?

More information about what tax rates apply to all your income and examples can be found in our ‘tax basics section’.

To see the different tax rates and bands, go to our ‘tax and NIC rates’ page.

For tax on savings income, go to our 'tax basics section' and our 'other tax issues section'.

Back to the top

Share this.

Page actions