Working out profits, losses and capital allowance

Updated on 7 February 2019


Welcome to the section of the Low Incomes Tax Reform Group (LITRG) website that deals with ‘Working out profits, losses and capital allowances’. This section provides you with the information to let you work out your taxable profits or losses if you are self-employed.

What information and help can I find in this section?

In this section, we provide information and help which we hope will enable you to prepare your own accounts and work out your tax bill.

In particular, we provide information on the following areas of taxation for the self-employed:

For a simple overview of the new trading and property allowance, why not check out our easy-to-digest factsheet?


Back to the top

Where can I get more help?

If you have come from abroad to work in the UK, we suggest you also visit our migrants section.

If you are unhappy with the way in which you have been treated by HMRC, you may be able to make a complaint.

HMRC manage the UK tax system. You can find their contact details on the GOV.UK website.

HMRC have e-learning packages available online for the self-employed and also run regular webinars which you can join and which cover various topics such as business expenses, capital allowances, etc. More details and dates can be found on GOV.UK.

You can find out where to get help from third party organisations in our getting help section. 

Back to the top