⚠️ Our Tax Guide for Students guidance has moved to the LITRG website. If you are a student or have a student loan and have a query about any of the issues we cover in the section, please let us know by filling in the Contact Us form.

Glossary of Forms

Updated on 28 January 2021


This glossary includes some forms that are no longer in use, but commonly referred to

Illustration of a student in front of an A-Z glossary book
CWF1 Form to register as self-employed
PA302A Simple assessment demanding payment when no Self Assessment tax return needs to be filed. 
P2 Notice of Pay As You Earn Coding issued to employees. 
P11D Form showing benefits/expenses paid to employees during the tax year just finished.  
P45 Form given to employees when they leave employment. They will be given parts 1A, 2 and 3. They need to keep part 1A and pass parts 2 and 3 to their next employer. The form shows total pay and tax deductions up to the date of leaving that employment.

Form no longer in use. Replaced by request for personal information (sometimes called new starter information) when start work with a new employer. 


Form to claim back tax for current year when you have stopped working. 

P60 Form issued by employer when you are in their employment at the end of the tax year (5 April). It shows total earnings for that year as well as tax deducted and student loan repayments made only from your earnings with the last employer in the tax year. 

Form to be completed when you are leaving the UK for at least a full tax year and not completing a Self Assessment tax return for your year of departure. 


Form used to claim work expenses that are not reimbursed by your employer. 


HMRC’s tax calculation of your liability for the year if you are not in Self Assessment. 


Form used to claim tax repayment from saving and investment income (provided not in Self Assessment) 


Form used to claim personal allowance and tax refunds if you are not resident in the UK and not in Self Assessment. 


Form used to register for Self Assessment if you are unable to do this online 


Self Assessment tax return 


Short tax return (only possible to be used if filing a paper tax return). Cannot be downloaded. 


Form used to reduce payments on account under Self Assessment.  


Form used to appeal against penalties charged under Self Assessment. 

Self Assessment payslip To accompany payments to HMRC 


Share this page