Where can I get further help and information?

Updated on 12 April 2023


This page highlights additional guidance and websites which may help students and student money advisers. It also briefly covers where you can find information if you are considering a career in tax.

Illustration of a hand appearing from a pile of papers and books

Where can I get more help?

There are many sources of help, but here we highlight some webpages and organisations which are likely to be of most interest to students.

  • Finance: The Student Finance England practitioners’ website hosts a range of factsheets, presentations and materials on finance and student loans. For students from Northern Ireland, there is information on the Student Finance NI website, for Scottish students, there is information on the Student Awards Agency Scotland website and for Welsh students there is information on the Student Finance Wales website.
  • Further help: Professional tax advice: If you need professional tax advice, we recommend that you read the section Where can I get help on a paid basis? on our website.
  • Further help: Tax Help for Older People: Tax Help for Older People is a tax charity that may be able to provide further advice with regard to tax queries from people aged 60 and over on low and modest incomes. The taxpayer should have tried to resolve their query with HMRC before contacting the charity. They do not help with queries on self-employment. Those queries should be directed to TaxAid (below).
  • Further help: TaxAid: TaxAid is a tax charity that may be able to provide further advice with regard to tax queries from people on low and modest incomes, especially in relation to self-employment. The taxpayer should have tried to resolve their query with HMRC before contacting the charity.
  • HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC): contact page on GOV.UK: The contact web page has most of the telephone numbers you may need to contact HMRC.
    • Tell HMRC of a change of name or address (by completing and emailing this online form).
  • Refund companies: If you are considering using a tax refund company to help submit your tax repayment claim then we recommend you read our page Should I use a tax refund company?
  • Tax credits: There is further information and guidance on tax credits on the revenuebenefits website, which is also maintained by LITRG, including the transition to universal credit.
  • Universal credit: The revenuebenefits website has further information about universal credit.

Websites that can provide more information

  • MyBNk is a charity with a mission to bring financial education and enterprise to life for young people, aged 5-25. They offer classroom led activities, lesson plans, resources and also web content covering topics such as saving and budgeting.
  • NASMA (National Association of Student Money Advisers) is recognised as the leading authority on student advice and funding.
  • Student Loans Company (on GOV.UK) is the government organisation that administers the loans to students in universities and colleges in the UK.
  • UKCISA (UK Council for International Student Affairs) is an organisation which supports international students and those who work with them.
  • The Uni Guide provides an independent source of information and advice for anyone considering higher education.

Also this website contains many more sections where you will find useful information about:

Information about the tax profession as a career

If you are considering a career in tax, then here you can find useful links to detailed information on the various opportunities available in the world of tax.

What’s in it for me?

A career in tax has an enormous amount to offer, including variety, intellectual stimulation and plenty of early responsibility.

Tax is a respectable profession to be in. It is sometimes treated as a subset of ‘accountancy’, but it can be a career in its own right.

Your career can take many different paths – from working as a tax adviser to your own or an employer’s clients to working for the Government.

You will encounter a mixture of law, administration and accountancy and it draws on a range of presentational and personal skills. The sky is the limit and you can be part of it.

The Chartered Institute of Taxation (CIOT) is the leading professional body in the UK for advisers dealing with all aspects of taxation. Its website has a detailed section on careers.

The Association of Taxation Technicians (ATT) is the leading professional body for those providing UK tax compliance services. There is information on their website for prospective students about:

What skills do I need?

You can join tax at any stage of your life: there are opportunities for school and college leavers, those who have just graduated, mature students and those looking for a change in career with some years of experience in the workforce.

If you enjoy working with people, problem-solving and an ever-changing, dynamic working environment then a career in tax could be for you.

Tax training materials for student money advisers

We understand that as student money advisers, you may come across complex tax issues and there may be some areas you need to understand in a bit more detail. The links below are to specific topics that we think you may come across on a regular basis. If there is an issue that arises that you think we might cover in a subsequent update, please advise us by using the Contact us form.

In addition, HMRC have produced YouTube videos on various topics.

Other tools you may find useful

Estimate your income tax for the previous tax year using a tool on GOV.UK.

Check your income tax for the current year using a tool on GOV.UK.

Tax guides

Share this page