Tax refunds

Updated on 12 April 2023


As a student it is likely that as well as being busy with your studies you are juggling working part-time, whether that is in one or more jobs or maybe having different jobs during the vacations.

It is often the case that students who are working end up with complicated tax affairs. This can be brought about by changing jobs regularly and possibly working in more than one part-time job at a time. Sometimes this results in your tax affairs not being as up to date with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) as they should be, which can then lead to employers using incorrect Pay As You Earn codes on your payslips and as a consequence you could end up paying too much tax.

Alternatively, you may have received other income that has had tax deducted from it and you want to reclaim some or all of that tax.

Illustration of a woman in front of tax documents and a calculator

What information and help can I use to claim a tax refund?

If you think you may have overpaid your tax then you will want to reclaim the overpayment as soon as possible, and by the cheapest method possible – by contacting HMRC yourself. Make sure they have your correct address or the refund might be sent to the wrong place.

In our Tax basics section, we provide information and help to encourage you to try and claim a tax refund yourself. The section covers:

  • How do I claim back tax I have overpaid through PAYE on wages or pensions?
  • How do I claim back tax if I complete a tax return?
  • How do I claim back tax on savings income?
  • How do I claim back tax on a payment protection insurance (PPI) pay-out?

If you are thinking of using a tax refund company to help submit your tax repayment claim, then we explain what you should consider when working out whether it is the best option for you.

Tax guides

Share this page