Useful links

Updated on 19 April 2019

Over the years we have reviewed thousands of websites which we thought might be of help or interest to those groups of people that we aim to assist. We do not necessarily agree with all the information provided by these websites and you will have to exercise your own judgement if you refer to them.

We have grouped the sites into those we believe are of general interest and those we believe are particularly relevant to each of the groups of people that we aim to support.

Increasingly website information is becoming specific to one of the four countries of the UK so do take care if you are looking for information that is likely to be specific to a particular country.

General interest

Adjudicator's Office

For how to make a complaint about HMRC, including the National Insurance Contributions Office, Customs and the Valuation Office Agency. It has UK-wide coverage.


Advicenow is an independent, not-for-profit website providing accurate, up-to-date information on rights and legal issues for England and Wales.

Citizens Advice Centres (NACAB)

Offers free, confidential, impartial and independent advice on a range of issues and provides links to Citizens Advice across the UK.


GOV.UK provides up-to-date information from across UK Government departments on topics ranging from travel safety and parental leave to special educational needs and local NHS services. Includes links to HMRC forms and calculators and HMRC online services.

Equality and Human Rights Commission

For information on discrimination.

Ethnic Minority Foundation

Works to identify and meet the needs of minority ethnic communities.

H M Revenue & Customs (HMRC) – GOV.UK

Links to HMRC content within GOV.UK, including leaflets/forms and online facility for Self Assessment returns.

Law Works

LawWorks is a charity that operates in England and Wales. It guides you to lawyers who give their time free of charge to members of the public on a low income to help solve legal problems.

Legal Aid  – GOV.UK

For help with a legal problem in England or Wales and help with finding a Legal Aid solicitor in Scotland and Northern Ireland.


Website which lets you compare different investments, pensions, loans etc.

Money Advice Service

Website to help you make the most of your money and operates UK-wide.

National Savings and Investments (NS&I)

User friendly site with details of NS&I products and a facility to check Premium Bond draws. There is also a table of the latest interest rates.

Parliamentary Ombudsman

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman undertake independent investigations into complaints about government departments, a range of other public bodies, and the National Health Service.

Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO)

The Scottish Public Services Ombudsman undertakes independent investigations into complaints about councils, the National Health Service (in Scotland), the Scottish Government and Revenue Scotland.


TaxAid is a UK charity providing free tax advice to people who cannot afford to pay a professional adviser. The service is independent and confidential.

Back to the top

Disabled people and carers

Action on Hearing Loss (formerly RNID)

Action on Hearing Loss is the largest charity representing the deaf and those with partial hearing in the UK. Various factsheets are available covering all aspects of deafness and the website has a shop where you can buy their publications.

A-Z of Care Homes

Provides an A-Z list of Care Homes in the UK.

Anchor Trust

Anchor claims to be the largest not-for-profit provider of housing, care and support for older people in England.

Benefits and Work

The site, independent of the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), provides information about incapacity and disability benefits such as Employment and Support Allowance, Personal Independence Payment and Incapacity Benefit as well as other benefit entitlements.

Carers Trust

Carers Trust is a major charity for, with and about carers.


Contact a Family is a national charity who specifically offers advice, support and information to parents of disabled children.

Digital Unite

Provides computer and internet training on a one to one basis for the over 50s across the UK.

GOV.UK has a dedicated section on disabilities giving information on the support available and rights of people with disabilities.

Disability Rights UK

A comprehensive source of disability information and advice on social security benefits, tax credits and social care.


Mencap supports those with a learning disability and the website has factsheets and guidance on benefits and other sources of help.


MIND is a leading mental health charity in England and Wales. It offers information and helplines and also has a special section on managing on benefits.

National Careline

A not for profit company offering information about care and support for older people, their carers and their families.

Royal National Institute for Blind People (RNIB)

Offers practical support and advice to anyone with a sight problem. Large number of information sources/factsheets available and Webpals to help people with sight problems make new friends worldwide via email.


Scope is the leading national charity supporting disabled children and adults with cerebral palsy. Its website gives information on many disability issues and links to other sources of help.

Young Carers Initiative

The Children’s Society runs the National Young Carers Initiative and this special section of their website gives plenty of information on issues young carers may face and details of local support groups.

Back to the top

Low income workers

Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS)

Information on employment rights and work issues generally, together with a confidential helpline.

BEIS - Department for Business, Innovation and Skills – GOV.UK

Index page for BEIS on GOV.UK, providing useful information on a wide range of issues affecting people in business.

Business Gateway (Scotland)

Practical help for people wanting to run a business in Scotland.

Business and self-employed – GOV.UK

GOV.UK resource for people starting up and running a business in the UK, including help if you are self-employed or a sole trader.

Federation of Small Businesses

The Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) is the UK's largest campaigning pressure group promoting and protecting the interests of the self-employed and owners of small firms.

Business Wales

Practical help for people wanting to run a business in Wales.

Health and Safety Executive

Health and safety issues for those in work. (N Ireland)

Practical help for people wanting to run a business in Northern Ireland.

Back to the top


British Council

The UK's international organisation for educational opportunities and cultural relations; it is represented in over 100 countries worldwide.

Evelyn Oldfield Unit

Charitable organisation developing and supporting the organisations that in turn support migrants.

Gangmasters & Labour Abuse Authority

The Gangmasters & Labour Abuse Authority regulates those who supply labour or use workers to provide services in agriculture, forestry, horticulture, shellfish gathering and food processing and packaging. Useful information on workers’ rights.

Health and Safety Executive

Information about health and safety legislation for those working in Great Britain from overseas. 

Migrants Resource Centre

Advice on a range of issues for migrants, primarily in London.

Migrants Rights Network

Promoting the rights of all migrants, regardless of where they are from, where they live and why they are here.

The Refugee Council

The Refugee Council is the largest organisation in the UK offering help and support to asylum seekers and refugees.  


The Trade Union organisation provides useful information on migrant worker rights.


The UK Council for International Student Affairs provides advice and information to international students studying in the UK and to UK students studying abroad.

United Kingdom Visas and Immigration – GOV.UK

The government body responsible for controlling migration to the UK. They consider applications for permission to enter or stay in the UK, and for citizenship and asylum.

Back to the top


Age UK

The Age UK Group works to improve later life for everyone by providing life-enhancing services and vital support.

Digital Unite

Provides computer and internet training on a one to one basis for the over 50s throughout the UK.

Elderly Accommodation Council – HousingCare

Charity offering advice and information about all forms of accommodation for older people.

National Pensioners Convention

NPC calls itself the voice of the pensioners' movement. They organise campaigns on issues that affect pensioners. Membership is mainly pensioner groups but individuals can also join. They produce various useful publications and overall this is a site well worth browsing.

Pensions Advisory Service

Independent non-profit organisation providing free information, advice and guidance on pensions, including state, company, personal and stakeholder schemes.

Retirement Expert

The site contains various articles and tips for retired people.


Website for the over 50s containing advice on a variety of topics including money and finance.

Tax Help for Older People

Tax Help for Older People is a charitable service providing free advice on personal tax to older people on low incomes who could not otherwise afford professional help. If this applies to you and you need some help with your tax, you can phone the helpline on 01308 488066.

University of the Third Age/Third Age Trust

Encourages people of retirement age to carry on learning. Various groups around the country organise themselves for the purpose of learning and there are also online courses.

Back to the top



GOV.UK's university and higher education pages provide information on what university can do for you, getting into higher education, student life and more.

British Council

The UK's international organisation for educational opportunities and cultural relations; it is represented in over 100 countries worldwide.

CPAG in Scotland Benefits for Students Project

Benefits information for students in Scotland, including a free online handbook.

Department of Education Northern Ireland – NI Direct

Information for students on the NI Direct website.

National Youth Agency – Youth Information

Advice for young people on a range of issues.

NUS Online

The National Union of Students website offering a selection of personal tools like free e-mail and personal webpage.

Open University

An excellent website – provides degree, diploma, certificate or just for interest courses for all ages.


'The UK's official graduate careers website' – and includes work experience.

STA Travel

Student and Youth travel specialists.

Student Finance – GOV.UK

This GOV.UK page has been designed to provide students from England with help and guidance in applying for Student Financial Support. It also provides links to student finance information for students from Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales.

Student Loans Company

Administrators of student loans.

Student Loan Repayments

The Student Loan Company’s site providing information on paying back your loan.

The International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience

Exchange visits managed by the British Council.


Formerly known as “TheSite” – Information for young people aged under 25 on a range of issues.


The official processing/clearing house for applications for university.


The UK Council for International Student Affairs provides advice and information to international students studying in the UK and to UK students studying abroad.

Work experience and volunteering

GOV.UK information on volunteering and work placements.

Back to the top


Tax Help for Older People

Tax Help for Older People have published comprehensive guidance in 'A Guide to Taxation at Bereavement', which is downloadable from their website.

What to do after someone dies

GOV.UK information about what to do after someone dies.

Back to the top

Debt Advice

The following organisations offer free advice and support for those in debt.

National Debtline – England and Wales 
National Debtline – Scotland 
Citizens Advice
Christians Against Poverty
Debt Support Trust

Back to the top