Tax help for students

Updated on 26 March 2019

If you are a student, or a student adviser, looking for information and help about tax and related matters for students you will find it on our dedicated student tax website.

Tax Guide for Students is a non-profit website that was set up by us to provide tax information to students and their advisers. The website was created with the support of HM Revenue & Customs and endorsed by leading student, tax and accounting organisations.

You can find information about the following subjects on the website by clicking on the links below:

Tax essentials for students

This section gives you essential information about tax for students and how to make sure you get your tax right. It gives an introduction to the tax system, explains how students can work out their tax and understand what allowances may be applicable. It also explains how tax is collected, how to claim tax back, how to get a National Insurance number and provides some information about pension schemes.


This section helps students understand how their earnings from work, whether employment or self-employment, will be taxed. It also explains how National Insurance works if you are in employment or self-employment.

Volunteering and training

This section explains how interns are treated for tax and the tax rules for volunteers or students who are on a training contract or apprenticeship scheme and informs you of the tax issues arising whether or not you have not been paid for the work you have done.

Tax credits and benefits

This section gives an overview of tax credits issues for students and provides links to more information about tax credits in general and state benefits including universal credit, if you are on a low income and/or responsible for any children.

Tax refunds for students

This section tells students how to work out if they have paid too much tax and how to claim that tax back.

Types of student

This section contains guidance for international students, apprentices, part-time students, mature students and disabled students.

Going abroad

If you are a student who is thinking of going abroad to study or work this section is for you. It covers the key tax and National Insurance points that need to be considered.

Other income

As a student you may have other income such as income from family members, scholarships and awards, or income from savings. This section explains if you should be paying tax on these other types of income.

Student loans

The main way of repaying student loans taken out since 1998 is via the tax system. This section explains more about repaying student loans whether you are employed, self-employed or complete an annual tax return.

Back to the top