R40 – Claim for repayment of tax deducted from savings and investments

Trying to fill out an R40 to claim back tax deducted from savings and investments? We provide an annotated example to help illustrate how to complete the form.

You can use form R40 to make a claim for repayment of tax in certain circumstances:

  • you are not within Self Assessment – that is you do not have to submit an annual tax return;
  • you have paid too much tax on interest from your savings and investments (including purchased life annuities or PPI pay-outs); and
  • you are resident for tax purposes in the UK.

HMRC make repayments by cheque– they will either the send the cheque to you or you can ask them to send it to someone else (your nominee).

We use the annotated form plus example below to illustrate how you should complete form R40. Please do not use the details provided in the example when completing your own form.

You can download form R40 from GOV.UK.

If you are unable to print the form off yourself (or with help from friends/a local library, etc.) then you will have to phone HMRC to request that they send you a copy. The phone number to use is: 0300 200 3300. (Some people have trouble getting through to HMRC, so you may find our hints and tips on contacting HMRC useful.)  

If you have any trouble in getting a form R40 sent to you by HMRC, please let us know – although HMRC are having a big push towards 'digital', they have assured us that a paper form should still be available, if requested.   

Alternatively, you can claim online through the Government Gateway. If you want to complete and submit the form online and have not got a Government Gateway account you can set one up as part of the claim process. This will also give you access to other Government and HMRC online services including your Personal Tax Account. You can find out more about your Personal Tax Account in our digital services page.

We also suggest that you read through HMRC’s guidance on how to complete form R40, available on GOV.UK.


Patrick, who was born 1 February 1953 (National Insurance number QQ 12 34 56 Q), had the following income in 2015/16: 

Employment income gross £11,000 (tax deducted £200)
Bank interest gross £100 (tax deducted £20)
Building society interest gross £300 (tax deducted £60)
NS&I interest gross £50 (tax deducted £nil)
ISA interest gross £150 (tax deducted £nil)

Patrick is making a claim after the end of the tax year and he wants HMRC to send the cheque direct to him.

We use the annotated form to show how to complete form R40 using Patrick’s details:

annotated R40 page 1

annotated R40 page 2

annotated R40 page 3

annotated R40 page 4