Tax Credits and Benefits
Welcome to the ‘tax credits and benefits section' of our website. This section provides details about tax credits and is for you if you are on a low income and/or responsible for any children.
What information and help can I find in this section?
We have provided information about tax credits and benefits aimed at helping you navigate the often complicated system of support available, with links to more detailed guidance.
You will find information about tax credits covering the following subjects:
- What are tax credits?
- Who can claim tax credits?
- What is working tax credit?
- Disability and tax credits?
- What is child tax credit?
- Can I claim for my child aged 16 and over
- How do I calculate tax credits
- How do I claim tax credits?
- Can I backdate my claim to tax credits?
- What counts as income for tax credits
- What are the income will be used to calculate my claim?
- How are tax credits paid?
- How do I renew my tax credits claim?
- What changes do I need to report?
- How do I appeal a tax credits decision?
- What can I do if I have an underpayment?
- What can I do if I have an overpayment?
- What if my claim is checked by HMRC?
- How do I complain about tax credits?
- How do I contact HMRC about tax credits?
- How will universal credit affect tax credits?
In our State Benefit section we have provided a series of links to more detailed information
For those earning £50,000 or more and entitled to Child Benefit, we have information about the High Income Child Benefit Charge in our section on
Tax credits will eventually be replaced by universal credit which was introduced in April 2013. New claims for tax credits will gradually stop as universal credit rolls out in full service geographically. This started in a very small number of digital areas in 2015 and will continue to roll-out to further areas in between 2016 to 2018. Eventually all existing tax credit claimants will also be moved to universal credit and it is expected that this will happen between 2018 and 2021. You can find out more about the changes in our section on:
Where can I get more information?
The detail around how tax credits work can get complex. More information about all aspects of tax credits and Child Benefit, including dealing with HMRC about tax credits/Child Benefit is available on our website for advisers – Revenuebenefits.
Information about tax credits, Child Benefit and State Benefits can also be found on GOV.UK.