How do I contact HMRC about tax credits?

Updated on 28 May 2020

Tax credits and benefits

This page details the ways you can contact HMRC about your tax credits.

Illustration of letter, telephone, mobile phone and email symbols
(c) Shutterstock / niroworld

Universal credit (UC) is a new benefit which will eventually replace tax credits, and some other social security benefits. Universal credit is now available across the UK and most people are no longer able to make a brand new claim for tax credits and are expected to claim UC (or pension credit) instead. Existing tax credit claimants are expected to be moved across to universal credit between November 2020 and September 2024. This follows a pilot involving no more than 10,000 people who will be moved between July 2019 and July 2020, although this may change due to the impacts of the coronavirus outbreak in the UK. You can find out more about this in our universal credit section.

How can I contact HMRC about tax credits?

You can contact HMRC online, by webchat, HMRC App, Twitter, by telephone or in writing. They don’t have a facility to let you e-mail them directly but you can do many things online, using their digital service via the GOV.UK website or using the HMRC app.

Tax credit digital services

HMRC have developed online service called the ‘Personal Tax Account’ for all individuals to be able to transact with them digitally. The Personal Tax Account covers a variety of services provided right across HMRC lines of business, covering income tax, tax payments, Self Assessment returns and it also includes the tax credits online service.

The specific tax credit online service is called ‘Manage your tax credits’ and can be accessed either directly from this link: Manage your tax credits, or via the Personal Tax Account and following links to the tax credit part of your Personal Tax Account.

To use this service, you need to register with the Government Gateway service or use your existing account if you already use Government Gateway for Self Assessment. Each time you use your Government Gateway account, you need to have a mobile phone or landline phone nearby to receive a unique 6-digit code which will be sent automatically to you as you ‘log-in’. The service is accessed via GOV.UK.

Once into the service you can:

  • Report most changes of circumstances
  • Renew and/or finalise your tax credits (once you have received your pack)
  • Check your payments
  • Fill in and send tax credit forms – such as the dispute form, hardship request form, appeal form
  • Track forms submitted through the account


This service is available via the GOV.UK website. It offers the chance to chat to an HMRC adviser via the website, either on general matters or specific to your own tax credit award.

Webchat is accessed via the GOV.UK contact page. If you are using the ‘Manage your tax credits’ service (which means you will have confirmed your identity with HMRC), you can use webchat to deal with matters specific to your claim.

Webchat is generally available, although not 24 hours a day and is reliant on HMRC advisers being available.


You can use the HMRC App if you have a compatible smart phone (most android and Iphones). It is free to download from the ‘app store’ and provides a variety of digital services across HMRC lines of business. For tax credits, you can check your payments using the App, and notify most changes of circumstances and complete your tax credit renewal once you have received your renewal pack.


You can use Twitter to get general help from HMRC but they cannot discuss specific cases or anything relating to an individual’s personal information, so please do not give any personal details.

Start your tweet with @HMRCcustomers

Opening times:
Monday to Saturday: 8am to 10pm
Sunday: 9am to 10pm

How do I contact HMRC by phone?

The main telephone number is the Tax Credit Helpline: 0345 300 3900 (textphone 0345 300 3909). From abroad, you can ring +44 2890 538 192. You can also use NGT text relay if you cannot hear or speak on the phone: dial 18001 then 0345 300 3900.

You can ring this number to:

  • make a claim
  • get a claim form
  • ask questions about your claim
  • find out about your payments
  • tell them about a change in circumstances
  • renew your claim
  • find out why you have been overpaid
  • make a complaint.

You will normally be asked for your National Insurance number. This is two letters, six numbers and a final letter, for example AB 12 34 56 Z.

You might also be asked to answer some security questions.

It is always a good idea to make a note of the date and time of your call, the adviser’s name and a brief note of what was said.

What if I need extra help when I contact HMRC?

There are many reasons why you might need some extra help when contacting HMRC. It may be that you have a disability or English is not your first language. There is more information on the GOV.UK website about contacting HMRC if you have particular needs.

Can someone else contact HMRC for me?

If you need help dealing with HMRC about your tax credits claim you can give permission for someone else to do this on your behalf. There is information on our website for advisers about the various ways you can do this.

How do I contact HMRC in writing

If you want to write to HMRC about your tax credits there are a number of different postal addresses.


Tax Credit Office
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom

Complaints or Change of Circumstances

Tax Credit Office – (mark either ‘Complaint team’ or ‘Change of Circumstances’ team)

Correspondence relating to the 2 child limit

Tax Credit Office

Mandatory Reconsiderations/Appeals/Disputes

Tax Credit Office

For all other correspondence (for example, general correspondence, etc.)

HMRC, Tax Credit Office

Using a courier

Use this address for all post items being delivered to HMRC to either a closed HMRC site, a PO BOX or BX postcode by couriers.

HM Revenue and Customs
Benton Park View
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE98 1ZZ
United Kingdom

You should mark your letter clearly, depending on what it is about and address the envelope to the relevant ‘team’ if possible.

  • to tell HMRC about a change of circumstances: Change of Circumstances Team
  • to ask for an explanation about why you have been overpaid or dispute an overpayment: Dispute Team
  • to appeal against a tax credit decision: Appeals Team
  • to make a complaint: Complaints Team.

It is a good idea to send letters by recorded delivery so that HMRC sign for the letter to confirm they have received it, or at least ask the Post Office for proof of postage if you do not wish to pay the extra for recorded delivery. Keep a copy of the letter and any enclosures for yourself if you can, and put the posting receipt in a safe place.

⚠️ Keep a file with copies of all of your tax credit forms, decision notices and letters together with any details you used to fill in your claim and calculations of how you worked out your figures.

Can I contact HMRC face-to-face?

HMRC have closed their old enquiry centres where claimants used to be able to deal with HMRC face-to-face.

Since May 2014, HMRC have had an enhanced system of support for taxpayers and tax credit claimants who need extra help dealing with HMRC. The service HMRC provide means that the telephone helplines are the initial way that customers can speak to HMRC. Customers who are identified as need extra help (according to criteria HMRC have developed) are then offered support best suited to them, this might still be by phone, but with a specialist telephone adviser who can deal with the queries in-depth or by arranging a set time to call or perhaps a face to face meeting with someone from HMRC at a place convenient to the customer (including at their home), calling on a team of HMRC specialist mobile advisers. More information can be found on the GOV.UK website.

More information

This page gives a brief overview of how to contact HMRC about tax credits. For more detailed information, visit our website for advisers on the following page:

Share this page