Loan charge reporting form

Updated on 14 May 2021


If you’ve not already done so, you must accurately report any outstanding disguised remuneration loans that are subject to the loan charge to HMRC. You can do this on the loan charge reporting form.

Illustration of a person in front of a computer with coins and a calculator
(c) Shutterstock / Jane Kelly

As confirmed in HMRC’s guidance on the loan charge, you’re no longer able to submit the form online. 

A paper version of the form was previously shared with us by HMRC and is available to download here.

If you want to make the irrevocable spreading election, this form is the method by which you legally do that.

This form needed to be completed and submitted to HMRC by 30 September 2020.

Although the 30 September 2020 deadline has passed, you may still be able to make a late election. There are limited circumstances where HMRC can accept a late election. The Statement of Practice sets out the criteria that they’ll consider for late elections and the process for making a late election.

⚠️ Note: spreading is not necessarily beneficial for everyone – we look at some of the considerations here.

When you send the form back, you should tell HMRC why you are making a late election. You can do this on a separate sheet of paper.

If you attempt to make a late election, you should include your full outstanding loan balance in your 2018/19 Self Assessment tax return, until an officer of HMRC has provided confirmation that the late election has been accepted. HMRC will consider late elections on a case by case basis and write to you to let you know their decision.

If you do not want to spread your loan balance, you must still complete the form if you haven’t already reported your loan amounts. Those who have previously completed the loan charge reporting form do not need to amend it even though their loan charge liability may have now changed, unless they want to make the spreading election.

If you need help in understanding how to answer the rest of the questions on the form, please see our previous news item, Loan charge – additional information form FAQs (please note this was written before the form/the deadline were altered, following the outcome of the Morse review).

If you want to send the form in by post, then this should be sent to:

Counter Avoidance,

It may be possible to send the form in by email – you should confirm this with HMRC by:

Tax guides

Share this page