⚠️ This is a news story and may not be up to date. You can find the date it was published under the title. Our Tax Guides feature the latest up-to-date tax information and guidance.

Do you need help with tax credits?

Published on 25 May 2022

HMRC recently started sending out tax credit renewal packs. If you need help with your renewal or have questions about your tax credits, this article explains the different ways of contacting HMRC. It also tells you how to complete your renewal or report changes of circumstances for tax credits.

Image of a helping hand and question marks with caption of do you need help with tax credits?
Credit: Canva

Online account

You can use the ‘manage your tax credits’ service which is part of the personal tax account. You can use it to complete your tax credit renewal, tell HMRC about changes to your circumstances, find out how much tax credits you will receive and when they will be paid. You will need a Government Gateway user ID and password to use the service.

You can find more information on GOV.UK.

To set up a Government Gateway account, you will need to prove your identity. We have more information about how to do this on our website

HMRC app

You can download the HMRC app from the App Store or Google Play Store. This will allow you to report tax credit changes and complete your renewal. You can also see how much tax credits you will receive and when they will be paid. You will need a Government Gateway user ID and password to sign into your account for the first time.

You can find more information on GOV.UK.

Ask HMRC online

HMRC have a digital assistant which can answer basic questions about tax credits. The assistant is a computer based tool – it does not connect with HMRC staff.

HMRC have withdrawn the tax credits web chat service which allowed you to chat with a tax credits adviser online.

Tax credit helpline

If you have a question about your tax credits or need help with your renewal, you will need to contact the tax credits helpline to speak to a tax credits adviser directly.

The number is 0345 300 3900 (+442890538192 outside of the UK). You can also use relay UK if you cannot hear or speak on the phone: dial 18001 then 0345 300 3900.

The lines are usually open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm. These hours may be extended nearer the 31 July renewals deadline. HMRC say that phone lines are usually less busy Tuesday to Thursday between 2pm and 4pm.

You can find some hints and tips on phoning HMRC on our getting help page.


You can ask HMRC general questions about tax credits via Twitter, but the advisers who answer these do not have access to your personal records. You should never give out personal information on social media posts.

The Twitter service is available between 8am and 8pm Monday to Saturday.

Online forum

HMRC have an online forum where you can ask questions about tax credits. To understand more about using the online forum, see our past news article.


You can write to HMRC. The address you write to depends on what it is you are sending. More information is on GOV.UK. Post is the slowest way to contact HMRC. If your question or issue is urgent you should consider contacting HMRC by phone. If you are sending important documents, you should obtain proof of postage as a minimum and send them in good time.

Extra support

If you need some extra support from HMRC to deal with your tax credits because of a medical condition or particular circumstances that mean you are vulnerable, HMRC have an extra support service that can help. For tax credits, you can access extra support by phoning the tax credit helpline and telling the adviser about the special circumstances that may be affecting you.

The GOV.UK website explains other ways to contact HMRC if you cannot use the telephone, how to get information in a different format, where to get information in another language and how to appoint people to talk on your behalf.

You can also read about all these things on our website

Contact: Victoria Todd (click here to Contact Us)
First published: 25/05/22


Latest news

Tax guides

Share this page