Skip to main content


words: Question & Answer
Published on 13 December 2023

New rules for gig economy workers - your questions answered.

Many people make a living from doing things in the gig economy like driving, delivering, or freelancing - often via online platforms such as Uber, Deliveroo and TaskRabbit. Some new HMRC rules are coming into force in January 2024. This news has caused people making money from the gig economy, eithe...

letter in an envelope
Published on 6 December 2023

PPI tax refunds - new evidence requirement

Due to concerns over the nature and scale of R40 claims for PPI tax refunds being submitted by certain tax refund companies, HMRC will now require evidence before they progress a claim for a PPI tax refund. This is to ensure they are only processing claims that are correct and properly authorised by...

5 coloured speech bubbles containing question marks
Published on 22 November 2023

5 questions to ask yourself before setting up a limited company

Whether you are starting a new business or are looking to develop an existing one, you may be considering setting up a limited company. Limited companies are cheap, easy to set up and may have certain benefits. But they can be difficult to run and expensive if things go wrong. You therefore need to ...

Image of a green Ultra low emission zone (ULEZ) sign in the UK
Published on 2 November 2023

Can employees claim tax relief on ULEZ charges?

Owners of a vehicle that doesn't meet the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) emissions standards and isn’t exempt must pay a £12.50 daily charge to drive within London boroughs. It has been confirmed by HMRC that self-employed drivers will be able to claim tax relief on the daily charge. But what a...

black and white image of an hourglass counting down
Published on 4 October 2023

Act now to meet 31 October paper tax return deadline!

This year, HMRC decided to stop automatically sending out paper returns to many taxpayers. HMRC have also changed the downloadable version of the form to indicate it is now ‘for reference only’. If you need to complete your 2022/23 tax return on paper but have not yet received or ordered one from HM...

Back to top