Skip to main content
Updated on 6 April 2024

Notifying HMRC when arriving in the UK

We explain what you need to do to register for tax and National Insurance contributions when you arrive in the UK. 

Yau Ming Low /

Content on this page:

There is no longer an official HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) arrival form for you to complete when you arrive in the UK.

However, if you want to work in the UK, whether as an employee or self-employed, then you will normally require a National Insurance number.

If you are employed, you may also need to complete a starter checklist for payroll purposes.

If you are self-employed and earning above the trading allowance, you will generally need to register for self assessment and Class 2 National Insurance contributions.

You might also need to register for self assessment for other reasons, depending on your circumstances.

Back to top