What rights do I have as an agency worker?

Updated on 30 December 2020


While you are in the UK, you may obtain temporary work via an agency. You can find information on your rights as an agency worker on GOV.UK. However, there are some complexities that you should be aware of.

You can find a useful outline in our factsheet on agency workers.

Illustration of the words know your rights
(c) Shutterstock / Tashatuvango
LITRG agency workers factsheet 2020

To find information to help you if you work through an agency or other intermediary, look at Am I employed, self-employed, both or neither?.

More information on self-employment
Am I employed, self-employed or neither?

What tax allowances am I entitled to?

How do I register for tax and National Insurance?

What is the trading allowance?

What business records should I keep?

How do I pay tax on self-employed income?

Working out profits, losses and capital allowances

What National Insurance do I pay if I am self-employed?

How do I work out my taxable profits?

What is the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS)?

How do I prepare my accounts?

How do I work out my profits for universal credit?

What business expenses are allowable?

Do I have to pay VAT if I am self-employed?

Can I claim for pre-trade expenses?

What is Making Tax Digital for VAT?

What capital allowances can I claim?

Pensions and self-employment

What if I make a loss?

How do I repay my student loan if I am self-employed?

When do I make Self Assessment payments and file my tax return?

Penalties and enquiries

Share this page