Savers, property owners and other tax issues

Updated on 30 December 2020

In this section, we cover other tax matters, including savings income, dividend income and property income.

Image of hands holding a model house
(c) Shutterstock / Vadim Georgiev

What guidance can I find in this section?

In this section, we provide information and help on some other tax matters to encourage you to try and solve any tax problem that you may have. Even if you do not have a ‘problem’ we hope you find this section useful and informative.

In particular, we provide information on the following areas of taxation for the individual:

  • Savings: since April 2016, the system of tax applied to savings and dividend income means that most people will have no tax to pay on this income. In addition, bank and building society interest is no longer taxed before you get it. Some other types of savings income might still have tax taken off before you get it.

  • Property income: this guidance is for you if you receive income from land and buildings – for example, income from letting out a room in your house.
  • Capital gains tax: you may have to pay capital gains tax if you sell an asset and make a profit. We explain how a charge to capital gains tax might arise and list some of the assets that are exempt from capital gains tax, such as cars.
  • Council tax and rates: this section gives an outline of the primary ’local taxes’ in the UK. Money collected from these taxes goes to local authorities (councils) to pay for local services such as maintaining parks, collecting rubbish, policing and personalised care.
  • Giving to charity: certain payments you make are allowable as relief against income tax. Donations to charity are one such payment and we finish this section by looking in more detail at the rules for charitable tax relief.

If you do not think we have covered what you wanted to know, or you would like to tell us of your experiences so that we might learn and try to get things changed then please do contact us.

Where can I get more help?

If you want more information on any of the following areas, you can find it elsewhere on this website:

  • Tax basics: information on tax allowances, tax rates and how to claim tax back;
  • Employment: how to check your coding notice, as well as looking at employment expenses and benefits;
  • Self-employment: how to work out your profits and losses;
  • Pensioners: tax on, and during, retirement;
  • Bereavement: tax issues arising on death for the deceased, their estate and surviving family;
  • Migrants: tax issues for migrants, including residence and domicile;
  • Disabled people and carers: specific tax issues and pointers;
  • Tax credits and benefits: help to ensure you receive the appropriate credits and benefits;
  • Childcare: this part of the website contains information about the different types of financial support that is available from the government to help with the costs of childcare.

We also have other websites that you may find helpful:

  • Tax Guide for Students: tax information for students, including how student loans may be repaid via the tax system;
  • Disability Tax Guide: information primarily aimed at people who take on personal assistants/paid carers and those assisting them;
  • RevenueBenefits: supporting information for advisers who get involved in HMRC-administered welfare benefits, and national minimum wage; including transitional information for the move from tax credits to universal credit.

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) manage the UK tax system. You can find their contact details on GOV.UK.

Throughout this site we can only offer general guidance on tax topics and you should always obtain specific advice before taking any action. You can find out where to get specialist help on our Getting Help page.

Share this page