Skip to main content

Latest News

tablet showing 3 faces, a happy face, a indifferent face, and a sad face to rate service. A person is pressing the sad face
Published on 28 February 2024

PAC report highlights the problem of poor HMRC service levels

The Low Incomes Tax Reform Group (LITRG) has welcomed the publication of a report by the House of Commons’ Public Accounts Committee highlighting the ‘conscious choices’ being made by HMRC and HM Treasury that have resulted in the continuing deterioration of HMRC customer service levels....

yellow background with a scrap of white paper with the words 'DID YOU KNOW?' typed on it
Published on 28 February 2024

What does having a UTR actually mean?

We often get asked questions about UTR (Unique Taxpayer Reference) numbers. There is a lot of misunderstanding about what a UTR is and what it isn’t. For example, did you know that having a UTR does not necessarily mean someone is self-employed? Read on to find out more about what a UTR does and doe...

example of a payslip showing 'Tax code' section and a calculator
Published on 23 February 2024

Check your PAYE code carefully

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) have started to issue PAYE codes for the next tax year – 2024/25. You may receive a paper coding notice (form P2), or alternatively an email notification that your new code is available to see in your personal tax account (PTA). In this article, we look at some of the...

Yellow road sign with black lettering 'CHANGE JUST AHEAD' background of a blue sky with few white clouds
Published on 21 February 2024

Changes to reporting income from self-employment and partnerships

This month HMRC are writing to around 100,000 unrepresented self-employed individuals or trading partnerships who do not have an accounting period ending between 31 March and 5 April. The letter is highlighting significant new changes to how these businesses will need to report their accounting info...

paper tax return with a calculator and a wooden stamper, the words 'TAX REFUND' are stamped on the page
Published on 20 February 2024

Tips to follow when submitting a P87 tax refund form

HMRC issue some tax refunds automatically. In other cases, you need to actively claim tax refunds. For example, for job-related expenses that you paid for yourself, you need to make a claim by completing form P87. For refunds relating to the 2019/20 tax year, you need to make your claim by 5 Ap...

Back to top